Riak: All content tagged as Riak in NoSQL databases and polyglot persistence
Original title and link: Congrats to Basho Team for the New Round of Funding ( ©myNoSQL)
A two-part article by Simon Buckle introducing the Riak HTTP API and using it with Riak pluggable Memory back-end as a caching service for a web application. Somehow I missed that Riak has a pluggable memory (non-persistent) storage. The only missing piece for making it a better caching solution would be having the option to set a per-key expiry/time-to-live (TTL) value. It might be interesting to experiment with using
Last-Modified HTTP headers to simulate this behavior. Has anyone tried it?
Original title and link: Quick Guide to Riak HTTP API and Using Riak as Cache Service ( ©myNoSQL)
EngineYard’s Ines Sombra recorded a conversation with Mathias Meyer about NoSQL databases and their evolution towards more friendlier functionality, relational databases and their steps towards non-relational models, and a bit more on what polyglot persistence means.
Mathias Meyer is one of the people I could talk for days about NoSQL and databases in general with different infrastructure toppings and he has some of the most well balanced thoughts when speaking about this exciting space—see this conversation I’ve had with him in the early days of NoSQL. I strongly encourage you to download the mp3 and listen to it.
Original title and link: NoSQL and Relational Databases Podcast With Mathias Meyer ( ©myNoSQL)
Catching up after almost two weeks offline is no easy task, but I hope I’ll not miss any important events, releases, or posts. But if I do, please email me.
Cassandra 1.0.9: Maintenance Release
The complete change notes for Cassandra 1.0.9 are here:
- improve index sampling performance (CASSANDRA-4023)
- always compact away deleted hints immediately after handoff (CASSANDRA-3955)
- delete hints from dropped ColumnFamilies on handoff instead of erroring out (CASSANDRA-3975)
- add CompositeType ref to the CLI doc for create/update column family (CASSANDRA-3980)
- Avoid NPE during repair when a keyspace has no CFs (CASSANDRA-3988)
- Fix division-by-zero error on get_slice (CASSANDRA-4000)
- don’t change manifest level for cleanup, scrub, and upgradesstables operations under LeveledCompactionStrategy (CASSANDRA-3989, 4112)
- fix race leading to super columns assertion failure (CASSANDRA-3957)
- ensure that directory is selected for compaction for user-defined tasks and upgradesstables (CASSANDRA-3985)
- allow custom types in CLI’s assume command (CASSANDRA-4081)
- fix totalBytes count for parallel compactions (CASSANDRA-3758)
- fix intermittent NPE in get_slice (CASSANDRA-4095)
- remove unnecessary asserts in native code interfaces (CASSANDRA-4096)
- Fix EC2 snitch incorrectly reporting region (CASSANDRA-4026)
- Shut down thrift during decommission (CASSANDRA-4086)
Merged from 0.8: Fix ConcurrentModificationException in gossiper (CASSANDRA-4019)
- support Counter ColumnFamilies (CASSANDRA-3973)
- Composite column support (CASSANDRA-3684)
- fix NPE on invalid CQL delete command (CASSANDRA-3755)
- Validate blank keys in CQL to avoid assertion errors (CASSANDRA-3612)
Apache Hadoop User Impersonation vulnerability
This vulnerability discovered by Cloudera’s Aaron T. Myers affects Hadoop’s versions 0.20.203.0, 0.20.204.0, 0.20.205.0, 1.0.0 to 1.0.1, and 0.23.0 to 0.23.1 where Kerberos is enabled. Complete details available here.
This is the first important release after the start of the year CouchDB hubbub with Damien Katz and Couchbase. The new version is a major release in itself deserving its own post: CouchDB 1.2.0: Performance, Security, API, Core and Replication Improvements.
Riak 1.1.2: Stabilization release
Original title and link: NoSQL Releases and Announcements ( ©myNoSQL)
Coverage of the announcement of a new product from Basho: Riak CS: a multi-tenant, distributed, S3-compatible cloud storage platform:
- Klint Finley got the scoop: NoSQL Company Basho Unveils New Cloud Storage Software
- PR announcement
- Barb Darrow for GigaOm: Basho arms would-be Amazon killers with AWS-compatible storage
- Sudheer Raju for Tools Journal: Riak CS From Basho Enables Enterprise Cloud Storage
- Joe Brockmeier for RWW: Cloud Storage Competition Heats Up With RiakCS
- Liam Eagle for thewhir: Basho Launches Riak CS Cloud Storage Platform, Aims at Service Providers
My notes about Riak CS will follow shortly.
Original title and link: Basho Announces Riak-Based Multi-Tenant, Distributed, S3-Compatible Cloud Storage Platform ( ©myNoSQL)