HBase: All content tagged as HBase in NoSQL databases and polyglot persistence
If you’ve never used Thrift (with or without HBase), the two articles authored by Jesse Anderson and posted on Cloudera’s blog will give you both a quick intro and
- How-to: Use the HBase Thrift Interface, Part 1: setting up, getting the language bindings, and connecting;
- How-to: Use the HBase Thrift Interface, Part 2: Inserting/Getting Rows: using HBase’s Thrift API from Python
Original title and link: An intro to HBase’s Thrift interface ( ©myNoSQL)
A presentation by Todd Eisenberger about the archival system used by Dropbox based on MySQL and HBase:
- fast queries for known keys over a (relatively) small dataset
- high read throughput
- high write throughput
- large suite of pre-existing tools for distributed computation
- easier to perform large processing tasks
✚ Both are consistent
✚ Most of the benefits in HBase’s section point in the direction of data processing benefits (and not data storage benefits)
This is a an important release for HBase. Both Hortonworks and Cloudera have posts covering it:
- Hortonworks: Announcing Apache HBase 0.96.0, More than 2000 issues resolved!
- Cloudera: HBase 0.96.0 Released!
Original title and link: Apache HBase 0.96.0 released after more than 2000 issues resolved ( ©myNoSQL)
Hortonworks, eBay and Scaled Risk have been collaborating in improving the mean time to recovery in HBase and after long testing performed at eBay, some results are now available for 2 scenarios:
- Node/RegionServer failures while writing
- Node/RegionServer failures while reading
Original title and link: Results of collaboration on improving the Mean Time to Recovery in HBase ( ©myNoSQL)
In 4 years of writing this blog I haven’t seen such a prolific month:
- Apache Hadoop 2.2.0 (more links here)
- Apache HBase 0.96 (here and here)
- Apache Hive 0.12 (more links here)
- Apache Ambari 1.4.1
- Apache Pig 0.12
- Apache Oozie 4.0.0
- Plus Presto.
Actually I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an ecosystem like the one created around Hadoop.
Original title and link: A prolific season for Hadoop and its ecosystem ( ©myNoSQL)