Here are five things to consider when choosing the foundational database for your meter data management system:
- A special time series data type to help with the data acquisition and data analysis issues
- World-class compression to help with the data storage issue
- Low overhead and administration
- An ecosystem of add-on tools and applications
- Field-proven products (look for products that have been used for things such as airline reservations and financial services, where the volumes are even greater and the financial stakes even higher)
NoSQL databases are still working on getting an ecosystem of tools and use cases that would serve as blueprints to newcomers. Hadoop is probably the only tool in the BigData market with a healthy, continuously growing ecosystem and tons of use cases.
Original title and link: The meter data management pitfall (NoSQL databases © myNoSQL)