Where is MapR today?
- MapR raised a total of $59mil.
- According to John Schroeder (CEO) “92% of MapR customers pay primarely for licenses and not for ancillary services and support”.
- According to Wikibon, MapR had $23mil. revenue in 2012, 49% of which coming from services (nb: this seem to contradict the above point)
- Support for MapR installations is offered by Accenture and Booz Allen Hamilton
How will MapR use the new capital?
With the new funding, the company plans to invest in research & development, and expand into Asia.
How is MapR seeing its competitors?
John Schroeder (CEO):
“Our competitors’ model is very cash intensive and you have to wonder whether or not they’ll ever be cash-flow positive”.
Clouder has raised until now $141mil as follow:
- Series A: $5mil
- Series B: $6mil
- Series C: $25mil
- Series D: $40mil
- Series E: $65mil
According to this, Cloudera raised $36mil in the first 3 rounds. I couldn’t find any official data about the capital raised by Hortonworks, but the number I’ve seen in a couple of places is $50mil. So far MapR raised $59mil.
Sources for these bits:
- VentureBeat: MapR gets $30M to push Hadoop deeper into the enterprise
- AllThingsD: MapR Lands $30 Million Series C Led by Mayfield Fund - Arik Hesseldahl - Enterprise - AllThingsD
- CrunchBase: Cloudera | CrunchBase Profile
- Wikibon: Big Data Vendor Revenue And Market Forecast 2012-2017 - Wikibon
Original title and link: MapR Raises $30mil in Series C ( ©myNoSQL)