The much awaited new version of Cassandra has been quietly release a couple of days ago. As mentioned in Cassandra 2010 in review, this version brings a lot of interesting new features:
- memory efficient compactions
- online schema changes
- secondary indexes
- improved performance for reads
- upgraded Thrift
Then on Riptano’s blog, there’s a series of articles getting into the details of these features:
- Jonathan Ellis: Live schema updates
- Jonathan Ellis: Secondary indexes
- Brandon Williams: Hadoop output to Cassandra
- Sylvain Lebresne: Expiring columns
I guess the only major feature that was talked about and didn’t get in this release is the distributed counters, but that’s already in the Cassandra trunk, so sooner than later users will get it.
Now you can head to the download page and start upgrading your Cassandra cluster.
Original title and link: Cassandra 0.7 Released, Lots of Goodies in the Box (NoSQL databases © myNoSQL)