Good question on CouchDB mailing list related to CouchDB caching:
Is there a way to control HTTP header: Cache-Control in CouchDB?
Just to connect the dots:
- CouchDB is accessed through HTTP
- you could use web tools to scale CouchDB (e.g. Varnish).
- when talking about web caching a must read is Mark Nottingham’s ☞ Caching tutorial
- for controlling caching behavior one must use Cache-Control HTTP headers
- for validating cache status
ETagHTTP headers are used. On these I’ve written in CouchDB and Varnish Caching - Why it doesn’t quite work