Jason Sirota summarizes concerns expressed by developers, DBAs, and OPs teams related to NoSQL databases:
- Developers: NoSQL databases do not separate tiers or concerns
- Developers: Sometimes, you can fix app problems just by changing a stored procedure
- DBA: There is not as much instrumentation around NoSQL
- Reporting: We have to write an app every time we want to show data?
5. Ops: WTF is NoSQL, SQL Server seems pretty fast to me.
Points 1, 2, and 4 are all related to the NoSQL reduced/different data access layer. And as much as we like to tout separation of OLTP and OLAP systems, we need to agree that there are a lot of companies out there that do not do it (lots of reasons) thus validating these concerns.
Original title and link: Why NoSQL is hard at The Knot (NoSQL databases © myNoSQL)