From ☞ DBMS2:
eBay sees Hadoop as an interesting tool for certain special purposes:
- eBay likes Hadoop for certain tasks such as image analysis.
- eBay doesn’t like Hadoop for anything that requires data movement, such as a join.
- Similarly, eBay doesn’t like HBase.
But based on reports from Hadoop World it looks like eBay usage of Hadoop is quite wide:
- eBay had a 4 node cluster in 2007, a 28 and a 10 node cluster in 2009, a 500+ nodes cluster in 2010
- 4200 processors, 4.3 PB of data on CentOS 1U 48 GB RAM datanodes.
- production cluster will be 8500 procs, 16PB