Here are some technical reasons why traditional relational database vendors are getting challenged:
- Scale: The biggest driver of the new generation of data management systems was unprecedented scale.
- Disk Capacities have exploded and Random Disk Accesses have gotten cheaper
- Fixed Schema is too rigid
- First Normal Form is too restrictive/rich
- Columnar Stores: It may sometimes be desirable to store together related columns which are accessed together.
- Programmatic Access is also important
Great post with a somehow bogus conclusion though.
Original title and link: NoSQL Databases: 6 Business and Technical Reasons for a New Set of Requirements ( ©myNoSQL)